Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Food Memories

Growing up in an Italian family, food has been a passion for me since I can remember. Whether it was Sunday dinner with the family or having pizza for a snack, I loved food. My earliest memories of my mother were in the kitchen making everything from scratch. Nothing was out of a can and why should it. My family comes from Napoli (Naples) a southern city in Italy with many delectable dishes which are associated with. My father is an avid gardener and grows some of the most delectable tomatoes, basil, spinach, corn etc. To top that of my family owns a local pizzeria in the heart of Fair Haven and is considered to be a landmark to all Fair Havens.




People would always comment on my about sitting in my booster sit watching my uncle make mouthwatering pizza. My family jokes about saying I was born with a pizza in my mouth because of my passion for the business, preparation, and dedication to make a pizza. People don’ t understand the rigorous preparation it takes to make a pizza place man from preparation to clean up my father and uncle for 16 hours a day which is 112 hour shifts a week. My father is an innovator of coming up with some fair haven favorite that tantalizes taste buds and making them want more.



People often ask me what your favorite thing on the menu is. I enjoy all the food. I am very appreciating of time, dedication and preparation. I am mostly a pizza kind of guy. I enjoy eating it and coming up with different styles or variations to make pizza my own. I grew up in a pizzeria so I feel comfortable saying that I know a thing or two about pizza. My father and Uncle prepare the ingredients and dough the night before. When it comes time to open the doors, the ingredient are ready and waiting to be cooked.



I rarely go out to eat. I am more of a Sunday dinner with the family then go to TGIF. Sunday is the day I look and my Italians can look forward to. There is nothing more delicious then waking up to the smell of your mother or grandmother making pasta, meatballs and preparing for later that day. The pasta recipe has been passed down from my family from my grandmother to her four daughters but anybody in Italy can tell you how to superb pasta. Sunday is not only pasta day but soccer day. There is nothing better to have a full stomach and watching your favorite team? Try different spices and use a different type of tomatoes to make your pasta worthy of grandma’s affection. Use fresh ingredients and never use something in a can. My mother always cooks everything from scratch and there is nothing better than sitting down with the family to enjoy a family dinner. Make some traditions and enjoy the food you cook. I am a strong believer in sitting at the family dinner table can fix any situation.



I am to tell you my background and how food has impacted my life. Food can have variations from different parts of the world and it can bring a family.



Good friends, Good foods and Good times are the key to happiness.

3 comments:

  1. Does your family make homemade pasta or just homemade sauce? I can definitely agree with you on the meatballs and sauce comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my family does not make homepasta but my mother makes the best meatballs past down from generations. Meatballs in Italy taste better due to breadcumbs. My mother makes homemade sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread crumbs to make the meatballs and tell your mother to bring me some at work.

    COBRA COMMANDER

    ReplyDelete